How to Make a Bobblehead

A couple of people have asked me to make a tutorial for my recent
bobblehead entry so here it is:

OK First of all here is the original source I used for the bobblehead entry:
The first thing I did was take the smudge tool on 100% opacity and using
the normal brush I just smudged very gently all over the face in tiny
circles to create a smoothed look.

I also used Filter/Blur/Smart Blur and masked out the areas I still wanted to
be crisp and clear

Finally I used Filter/Noise/Reduce Noise for the nostrils and finer areas
Now that the skin is smooth it is ready for the next step (plastification)
I spent a good few hours looking for "Blythe Doll" sources on Flickr. These
dolls look really creepy but they have an awesome plastic feel to them.

Taking the shine circled below I copied this and pasted as a new layer:
I then desaturated it, applied a light gaussian blur and, resized it and
set the blending mode to lighten. (Note I only had to desaturate in this
case as the skin tones were so different, I may have also adjusted the
levels slightly too to match the tones)
I tried to imagine which parts of the image would reflect and the area
under his left eye looked like a good place to start so working from this
source I cut out this area and pasted as a new layer:
I then masked around the edges, applied a slight gaussian blur and set the
blending mode to lighten.
Next I wanted a bit more of an interesting reflection so using this source I copied
the circled area and pasted as a new layer:
I masked around the edges and again set the blending mode to lighten, I also
added a slight hue adjustment layer to it to match the colors of the other reflections
(If you look at the final result they have a slight purple tint around the white highlights)
Next I wanted some reflections that really popped, so taking this source
I copied the reflections from her nose and pasted them as a new layer.
I only needed to set the blending mode to lighten and mask round the
edges as the skin tones were pretty similar. The part just above the lip
is a duplication of this layer and then Transform/Warp to make it flow
better.
I took this section of this image, copied and pasted as a new layer
I set the blending mode to overlay and masked around the edges
The eyes still appeared to be too life like so taking this source image
I copied this eye and pasted as a new layer.
I adjusted the hue/saturation so that the colors matched Billie's real
eyes
As for the hair it was taken from this lego man and masked out as a
new layer.
Like this:
I had to adjust the hair using Filter/Liquify as it was off centre and too
square:
Finally as you can see the eyebrows and eyelashes are also different:
They were taken from this source, I had to add a few more stands to
the eyebrows with the smudge tool to match Billie's eyebrows.
The eye lashes were set to multiply
...and here is the final result.
Thanks for viewing :)

Post a Comment

Earn money

Earn for every valid referral. Send your invite link to your friends using IM, Email, Scraps
Alternatively, you can grow your network by sharing any of the following links.

Advertise

 

Copyright © 2011 broadget | Powered by Blogger | Template by BLOGGER

Blogger Widgets